Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I Facebook at Work

What?

You know you do it too.

Or wish you could.

Now however, I have a predicament. My boss’s 15 year old daughter friend requested me and I accepted.

Why?

How could I not? If I didn’t accept her it would be like wearing a sign around my neck that said

“Hi, I Facebook while at work.”

I do still Facebook while at work; I just have to be very careful.

For example, I try not to update my status while at work.

But if I do accidentally update my status I try not to say: “Work is making me suicidal, does anybody have a Xanax.”

But if I do accidentally say just that then I try to remember to promptly delete it.

But if I forget to delete it and my bosses daughter then asks me what’s wrong I answer something along the lines of:

“Co-worker* blah blah blah, blame blame blame, excuse excuse excuse.”

And if my boss happens to come in the next morning and ask me about it I repeat the story.

And if she gets irritated at co-worker I agree with her.

Then I make a mental note to never update my facebook status while at work again.

But if I forget……….

*I feel bad about throwing co-worker under the bus. (No, I don’t)

3 comments:

  1. Woah. I would have erred on not being friends with co-worker's child. How would she know when you update if you're not friends with her? Granted, I do wish I could access facebook at work but I purposefully am not friends with co-workers or students because I like to be able to brag when I play hooky or complain when someone pisses me off or talk about naughty stuff without it getting back to me at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I would un-friend her. I think you could just say that you don't think it's "appropriate" and you like to keep your private life private, if you do in fact need an explanation. OR- With Facebook's new privacy settings you can actually block people from seeing what you post, I think. I have blocked my MIL and some of her sisters from seeing my posts. They love J.C. and well, I take the lord's name in vain, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely unfriend. If something is said, just say that you are not sure your FB is okay for minors. Or that you want to keep your private life private.

    I'm friends with some people from work, so I have to be VERY careful. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete